Sunday, March 24, 2013

Birds and Birch Trees

I am sure many of you have seen this art project on the web at Deep Space Sparkle. I really enjoyed this lesson because it offered a variety of techniques and materials. I first gave students a 12x18 piece of white drawing paper. Students folded the paper into 8 sections. Students drew different designs in each rectangle using crayons. Then students used water colors to paint the remainder of the rectangles. The painted paper was used for the birds.

I offered students the option to trace the birds or create their own. I created tracers for the birds in the handout below.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I did this lesson with my class, too. What brand of construction paper are you using? So much brighter than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use tru-ray. I really like that brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What grade level was this taught to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my building we have grade bands. This was 3rd and 4th grade.

      Delete
    2. I would love the template of the birds. Wolfena@clay.k12.in.us

      Delete
  4. Do you have the bird template that you could send me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Courtney,

    Email me and I will send you the template. I am on maternity leave but when I get back I will send you the template.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you please send me the file, too? paulamooney@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you email me the template please?
    langni@medford.k12.wi.us

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous! I would love the template, too, please! Kwories@timothychristianschool.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Art teachers...you can't draw your own template? Oh my...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could also just enlarge on your computer screen and trace... Nice project!

    ReplyDelete