Saturday, August 25, 2012

Simple Birds


This is the very first assignment my primary students will be working on. Students will use watercolors, tisse paper, and a black sharpie. I love using modge podge and did try to incorporate it to glue on the tissue paper feathers (red bird) but I think I will have to pass on the modge podge this time. The background is watercolors and rubbing alcohol. I let students decide if they would like to have a WARM bird or a COOL bird. What ever bird they pick then the background will be the opposite.

6 comments:

  1. Love the colors...will add this to my lesson plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable- I love the rubbing alcohol splotches- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to being an art docent. These are perfect for teaching warm/cool colors. Do you just mix watercolors with rubbing alcohol? What portions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love doing this technique. The kids do too. I don't mix the two together. The students paint the paper in parts. The reason for this is in order for the technique to work the watercolors still need to be wet. Then I have small cups filled with alcohol and eye droppers set up at each students table. The students drop a few drops of alcohol on the wet paint. It works instantly. Your kids will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am an art teacher in Georgia. I love this! I want to try this technique. Did you have them draw and paint the bird onto the same paper or on a different paper and then cut/glue when the background dried?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The students drew and painted their birds on different paper then cut the bird out.

    ReplyDelete